Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Olympics, etc.

Let the Olympic games begin! This is an amazing time to be in England right now. In a country that's still skipping after the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in June, everyone is now absolutely ecstatic that the Olympics have finally begun! I have never seen the British so proud to be British as they are right now. Although we Americans decorate most everything with our flag, the Brits have always been much more reserved about showing off the Union Jack. Not so 2012! There are flags everywhere! Jubilee bunting still hangs over many pubs and I've seen whole parks bedecked with London 2012 flags. Storefronts and private residents are waving the Union Jack high with proud in a way I never would have expected from this quiet (ahem!) island nation.



I've been trying to catch a little bit of the Olympics on the telly every evening, but things are undoubtedly quieter up here in Scarborough than in many other parts of the country that are closer to the action. I think a lot of Londoners came up here to escape the hullabulloo going on down south. Scarborough would be a lovely seaside town if the water wasn't SO CONFOUNDEDLY FREEZING! I went for a dip the other day and my toes nearly froze off! The last couple of days have been cloudy and about 65 degrees (F). It doesn't help that my suitcase of warm clothing has gone AWOL en route from the States. I don't actually remember what it feels like to be warm. And my tan from Raging Rivers Waterpark is definitely on the way out.
I hope I get to see some sunshine for my next couple days in Scarborough. I might try another swim - what I really need is a wet-suit!

No comments:

Post a Comment